Thursday, August 18, 2011

I made this Braided Necklace

Soo.. after I made my macrame steering wheel cover. I had a ton of rope left.
So, what else to do? I made more stuff.
I decided a necklace would look cool.
but I needed more things on it. 
Nuts are cheap. So I put those on.

What You Need:
Cording of some sort.
Nuts and Washers
I got nuts in: 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2 (basically what the store had)
I then got a few washers in the 3/8 size.
Also, some Elmers Glue.

Step 1:
Measure out and cut 5 strands of cording about 72'' long.
Fold them in half. Cut out another about 6'' piece of cording.
wrap this around the end so that it leaves a loop.
Glue the ends.

Step 2:
Take 4 of your strands. Braid them using a 4 strand braid.
I still don't know how, and I read up everywhere. 
Here are some pictures and link I found somewhat useful.
But really, I don't think it matters what it looks like, a little messy makes it look better.



Step 3:
Take 3 strands. Do a normal braid.
in various areas on your braid, you can put on your nuts and washers.
How you do this is you put it on the middle strand, and continue braiding. Easy.


Step 4:
Take the remaining 5 strands. Do a 5 strand braid.
This one, I remember learning when I was super little on some indian reservation.
I think.
Anywho, the best thing I could find to teach you, is this YouTube video. 
she's using bread, but it's done the same way. 

Step 5:
Take all of the ends and stick them through the loop you made earlier. 
fold it over and put some glue on it.
Then cut out another 6'' cord.
wrap this around and tie it. Make sure you glue the ends.

Step 6:
I thought I was done, but it kind hung weird.
So I decided to do a couple wraps around the main part of the necklace.
This tied all the different strands together.



You're Done!
It's a heavy necklace but, cute! Also, remember to cut off all those crazy loose ends.

I also made this keychain with my leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment