Friday, October 9, 2015

Healthy Crockpot Chili

In the spirit of Halloween, I will share with you a story. Once upon a time in Logan there was a house. On the outside it looked like a normal house, normal yard, nothing out of the ordinary. It was what went on inside the house that caused concerned. Inside the house a cult resided, it started out mild with strange rituals that eventually got more extreme with animal sacrifices. Then, there were rumors of human sacrifices. Word got around that this was happening and a neighbor called the police; the next day, the house was abandoned. Nothing had moved, the furniture is still the same, the books on the shelf haven’t moved, the car and trailer still in the driveway. The only thing different is the people had vanished.  The house now sits empty on this normal street haunted by its past and rumored to be watched over by an old cult follower. This is the creepy house that I learned about this week, and took a super short visit to. Wow. What terrifying chills were felt. 

Also, learned how to long-board a little bit yesterday. Well, I can go on flat ground. Funny story with that; I was going a little bit out of control and I was coming up to a group of people. So I thought, I better get off because I really can’t steer where I’m going very well and I don’t want to run into them. So I was getting off, and then all the sudden my foot launched the board straight into this couples ankles, and I almost fell into another small group of people. Luckily they stopped the board so it didn’t hit them, and that I caught my balance just in time to not fall into the other group. It was literally everything I was trying to avoid happened. So embarrassing. 

So, another college tip from me, make a big batch of soup at the start of the week, and you can eat it for lunch the next few days. I am also obsessed with my soup thermos, because then I can bring it to school and have a hot lunch, which is way yummier on a brisk fall day than a cold, squished sandwich. I bought mine from Wal-Mart about 2 years ago, and it was definitely worth it. So here is this weeks lunches; Healthy Crockpot Chili!



INGREDIENTS
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ C Onion
1 C Zucchini, diced
1 C Corn, fresh or frozen
1.5 lbs. Chicken Breasts
1 (14.5 oz.) Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes w/ liquid
1 (6 oz.) Can Tomato Paste
1 ½ C Chicken Broth
2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp. Cumin
½ tsp. Black Pepper
Salt to Taste
1 (15.5 oz.) Can Black Beans
Avocado and Cheese for garnish, optional

STEP 1
Combine all ingredients into crockpot. Cook low 6-9 hrs. or on high 3-4 hrs.

STEP 2
Shred chicken and serve with toppings. Yum!



Recipe from: Smile Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment