Thursday, September 10, 2015

Rainbow Vegetables

I started my social media class a couple of weeks ago and we were assigned to either start a blog, or revamp a current blog. Since I feel like I have years of posts on this blog, I chose the later, and revamped this one.

Now those of you who read this are used to my short and sweet beginnings to every post; which honestly, is more like me. For the sake of the class, I will now be writing on my blog how normal food blogs are done with a beautiful written beginning followed by the recipe.

Unfortunately, I sometimes find myself at a loss of words, and am not the best at beautiful writings, so please bear with me. I had a good friend, and old roommate, visit me over Labor Day weekend and as we were talking we got on the topic of college woes, pizza, and Japanese cartoons. She then proceeded to show us this store on eBay with so many great Korean shirts. We then all proceeded to spend our next hour browsing through t-shirts with hipster rabbits, elephant bushes, and creepy kitties until we decided which one was best for us. I’m afraid to ruin the surprise, but here are some examples:


What’s most exciting is in 2 to maybe never weeks we will be getting these fantastic shirts in the mail! I'm pretty sure all of you should be super jealous, and should go check them out on eBay and tell me which one you were persuaded into buying on a whim. ;)

Okay, now to what you’ve been waiting for! My recipe of the week! So, this recipe is definitely not even a recipe. It’s more of a trick that my mom taught me, that I think is genius and do once a week.  I think it’s so great, because once you cook up a big batch of these vegetables you have them to throw in with literally anything you want to make it a little healthier.


INGREDIENTS

For this, I literally just stroll down the vegetable aisle grabbing things that are on sale and/or look yummy and will create a rainbow in my basket. I also had some vegetables that were given to me from people’s gardens, which is an added bonus.

I ended up with: Purple Cabbage, Carrots, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Tomato, Spinach, Potato, Green Pepper, Poblano Pepper, some JalapeƱo, Mushroom, and Onion



WHAT YOU DO

First, dice and slice all of your vegetables to the shapes you most prefer, the smaller they’re cut the faster they cook. Then, add about 1/8-1/4 C of Olive oil to a big pan on medium-to-high heat.

Second, add your Onion, Potatoes, and other vegetables such as Carrots and Peppers that take longer to cook. Continue to mix them.

Third, after those have cooked for a while, add vegetables such as your Squash, Zucchini, Mushroom, and Cabbage while stirring.

Fourth, when all the vegetables have softened up, season with salt and pepper and add your tomato and spinach, only cook until the spinach has wilted.

Fifth, remove from heat and enjoy with your favorite sauce and/or protein

SERVING SUGGESTIONS

I really like to eat these with pretty much anything. I eat them for breakfast with eggs, I’ve had it for lunch with some turkey meatballs, and I had it with chicken or fish for dinner. The great thing about it is you can add any seasonings to it you want, and it adds beautiful coloring to your meals.




If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask! #USUMGT4540

No comments:

Post a Comment